About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Spotters Location Critique Extras: The Critique Scale

After looking over some of my reviews of spotting locations, I realized I should probably create a "critique scale" as a guideline for my personal reviews of "spotter friendliness" of the airports I've spotted at. The scores I give as well as these general guidelines are subject to change and I'll make exceptions where noted, but here are my spotters scoring guidelines and possible reasons why I would give that score on a scale of 0 to 5:


0/5 - Don't even bother.

  • You'll most likely get kicked out (possibly arrested) for "security reasons" or for something else. 
  • Unless you're inside the terminal waiting for your flight (if at an airport with commercial service), you're better off being safe than sorry. 
  • There are no spotter friendly locations to photograph from at all.

1/5 - The worst. 


  • Not really spotter friendly at all. 
  • Photos probably could be taken but most likely not a lot to make it worth while. 
  • Take extra care in not attracting unwanted attention to self.
  • Traffic is just next to nothing and there's nothing significant to even photograph.

2/5 - Alright. 


  • Spotting can be done, but most likely not a place with active movements at all.
  • Probably not recommendable since the location would most likely be difficult to stay at.
  • Again if spotting, take extra care in not attracting unwanted attention to self.

3/5 - Moderate. 


  • Decently spotter friendly. 
  • Aircraft movements might still be limited though.
  • Timing is key if you're to photograph anything decent at these kinds of airports.

4/5 - Pretty good. 


  • Spotting for sure can be done. Probably has an observation deck or other great vantage points where photography is possible
  • Other nearby attractions such as a museum might make the place worth going to as well.
  • Spotting most likely gets bland in terms of what airliners fly at that particular location after a few visits though.

5/5 - For sure the best. You can pretty much come back here many times as your heat's content and get good results every time.


  • Spotting is doable on a public observation deck/area and offers a really great, unobstructed view.
  • The airport also offers a variety to see as well.
  • Other attractions are nearby making the place worth a visit.

No comments: