About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Pilot Life: Quick Cross-Country Through the Willamette Valley

I'm beginning to think and plan ahead for my flight training after the Instrument Rating; the plan is to pursue my single-engine Commercial Rating afterwards, but something else I'll eventually need is a multi-engine add-on rating. The flight school I'm currently receiving instruction from does not have a multi-engine trainer, so I had to get some research in regarding where else I could possibly go. After a day or two of Internet searching, I've narrowed down two possibilities; one up in Aurora, and the other down in Corvallis. After measuring the distances, I decided to fly to these respective locations and made a cross-country flight out of it flying in a triangle!

A quick cross-country triangle flight in N5174E!

My first flight leg was from Albany to Aurora State Airport, the second-longest of the triangle route I had planned. My route of flight took me through Salem's Class Delta airspace northbound before going into Aurora's Class Delta. After establishing radio contact with the tower controller at Aurora, I was instructed to make a straight-in approach to landing for Runway 35. After landing, I was instructed to call up the ground controller, who gave me taxi directions all the way to the north side, which was where I needed to go to make my inquiries!

After my business at Aurora was done, I flew my second leg of the triangle, which would be longest! I departed Aurora via Runway 35 (after a long wait holding short!) and made a left downwind departure to the southwest. My next destination would be Corvallis. As I made my way southwest-bound, I had a moment to appreciate how nice of a day for flying today turned out to be! After making the 50 mile hop from Aurora to Corvallis, I entered the left downwind for Runway 35, as the winds were favorable according the AWOS report. After landing, I taxied to the ramp with transient parking and shut the engine down. I then made my inquiries, which ended up being a partial dead-end; thankfully, I got some contact information I could call at a better time!

With the sun setting, I hopped back in the airplane and taxied over to Runway 35. I did a quick run-up and then held short for some local VFR traffic beating up the Corvallis pattern before departing. I turned to the northeast and flew the shortest and my final leg of the triangle back to Albany. It was quiet in Albany, which I found unusual. I made my approach via an extended left-base for Runway 34 and made an uneventful landing. With the last bit sunlight, I taxied over to the fuel pumps and topped off the tanks before taxiing back to my uncle's hangar, where I put the airplane away for the night.

Every opportunity to fly counts at this point, and I'm glad I got a quick cross-country today!

No comments: