About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Thursday, February 8, 2018

Pilot Life: Taking My Friend, Katy Flying!

Well, today's plan for a flight changed drastically, but I still got to take up Katy, a first-time passenger! I was originally planning on taking the Piper Cherokee up for a late-afternoon flight; that did not happen as I ended up taking a Katana for a late-morning/early afternoon flight due to a tight schedule on my passenger's part. It all worked out as I was planning a shorter outing anyways. After we arrived at the airport, we went over to the airplane and I conducted the pre-flight. After pre-flight inspections showed no concerning areas, we hopped in and I got the engine started.

A quick hop around the valley in N992CT!

I taxied the plane a short ways and did the engine run-ups. Nothing abnormal resulted, so I taxied a short distance again toward the runway. I held short while some traffic (namely another Katana!) cleared out. While we were waiting, we took a selfie!

Obligatory selfie before takeoff!
(Photo credit: Katy Pratt, my lovely passenger!)

Once Runway 30 was clear, I taxied onto to the runway, lined up and throttled forward to begin takeoff roll. I got us airborne and we headed to the south part of Utah Valley. Needless to say, my passenger was enjoying the experience, a first for her! I pointed the plane towards Payson and descended until we were a thousand feet off the ground. I then positioned the plane so we could circle the Payson LDS Temple, which we did twice. Afterwards, we headed back to Spanish Fork where I entered the pattern and executed one touch-and-go landing.

After getting back in the air, I elected to make the second landing a full-stop since my passenger had classes to get back to and it was a good time to call it quits with time being a limiting factor in today's flight. During the pattern, I had to deal a couple of birds, which I had to avoid, and warn other aircraft about! After landing and the rollout, I cleared the runway at the next available taxiway and headed back to the ramp, where I shut the engine down and called another successful flight.

Another fun outing, another ecstatic first-time passenger!

No comments: