About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Monday, August 14, 2017

Pilot Life: Pattern Work/Going Solo Again

This morning's flight was split into two parts; my instructor joined me for the first part and we stayed in the pattern to practice up on my landings. After flying some circuits with him, my instructor felt comfortable with the progress I've made to justify sending me solo so he granted me a solo endorsement! Considering that it's only a week since I started flying again, I'm pleased with my progress towards returning to proficiency and being able to solo once again. One week is definitely not bad when it came to getting proficient enough to fly solo and being endorsed to do so!

Now that I'm back into a routine, it's definitely feeling a lot easier to conduct myself as I continue working towards my license (I can honestly say now that I didn't really felt this way when I was flying with UVU...); Platinum Aviation has been that "fresh start" (or in my case, a fresh restart!) I needed. As always, I conducted the pre-flight inspections and then my instructor and I pulled the airplane from the parking spot on the ramp and brought it to the fuel pumps. Once we added some fuel, we hopped, briefed what the plan was (along with the typical potential emergency factors to bear in mind), closed up the canopy, and got the engine started. We also did our run-ups right by the fuel pumps after a quick re-positioning of the aircraft. Once run-ups were complete, we proceeded to taxi to Runway 12. My instructor also took the time to remind me and emphasize situational awareness while doing run-ups, especially at a smaller, uncontrolled airport like Spanish Fork where space and clearances between aircraft is much more confined.

Today's flight once again took place on N802CT. 

We got airborne and my instructor had me do five landings total while with him; this many landings allowed me to hone my skills to do soft-field and short-field takeoffs and landings. After the fifth landing, we taxied back to the ramp and shut down the engine. After a quick debrief, my instructor endorsed my logbook, which validated my privileges to go solo.

My instructor hopped out of the airplane and I was on my own for the first time since May! I got started up, did my run-ups, and I got airborne once again and did three laps in the pattern, doing touch-and-go landings. My third landing of course was a full-stop, so after I cleared the runway, I taxied back to the ramp, just in time as my reservation time block for the Katana was about up. I parked the plane and shut the engine down before securing it for the next flight.

It felt so good to go solo again!

No comments: