About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Pilot Life: Flying with Platinum Aviation Day 2

I am basically scheduled to fly every day this week and I'm hoping the consistency of flying daily can help me get back into proficiency quickly and be ready for a checkride soon after. Compared to yesterday's morning flight, today's flight took place in the early afternoon and is a continuation back into personal proficiency. As always, the usual routines took places with regards to pre-flight before hopping in the airplane and getting started up and going through the run-ups. After run-ups, we proceeded to taxi to the runway; the winds were favoring Runway 30 today so we didn't have to taxi far since the runway was right next to the ramp!

Diamond DA-20-C1 Katana (N968CT), the plane I took up for some pattern work and basic maneuvers today.

I got us airborne and we turned to the south away from the Spanish Fork Airport and got set up for maneuvers. Being that's it's only my second flight with my new instructor, he put me through the paces for maneuvers. He also put me under the hood for some basic instrument maneuvers and navigation. He also put me through unusual attitudes and recovery from them. After doing some maneuvers, my instructor pulled the throttles back to simulate an engine-out procedure. As usual, I established proper glide speed, picked a suitable landing spot, and then went through my checklists.

Satisfied, we headed back to the airport to get some pattern work and landing practice in. My instructor also had me do a go around after asking me what to do if something crossed onto the runway during one of my approaches. I logged five total landings before we called it quits. Following the full-stop landing, I taxied us off the runway and headed back to the ramp, where we would shut the engine down.

Unlike my first time going through recurrent training earlier this year, I feel as if things are coming back to me faster now. It's no surprise since I've been through many of these things already.

No comments: