About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Saturday, December 17, 2022

Gallery Update: A DC-3 Sighting in Salem!

It's been a while since I've made a double-posting on the same day! A nice day like today led to a surprise visitor to Salem this afternoon: a Douglas DC-3! While I've seen this DC-3 before, it's appearance has since changed, so it was worth photographing again. In addition to the DC-3, I also got to see a De Havilland Canada Beaver as well! What is this? Radial engine heaven??? I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Salem (SLE)

Preview:

Douglas DC-3A (N18121) taxiing for departure to nearby Aurora. The last time I saw this beauty in action was back in 2015 during the Warbirds Over the West fly-in here in Salem. Back then, she was also sporting her veteran Eastern Air Lines "The Great Silver Fleet" livery, which was removed a few months after that event.

Aerometal International LLC out of Aurora, Oregon is the caretaker of this venerable warbird (along with a handful of additional warbirds including other DC-3s!) and specializes in maintaining the airworthiness of aging aircraft. They also provide DC-3-specific flight training services with the DC-3s under their care.

N18121 departing on 34 for Aurora.

Fun fact: This DC-3 holds the distinction of being the highest-time DC-3 in the world that is still airworthy, with flight hours being somewhere north of 91,000 hours put on this airframe! This airframe has been flying since 1937. It's also ironic that yesterday happened to be the 87th anniversary of the DC-3's maiden flight!

What a privilege to this piece of history in action!

De Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver (N19ZM) taxiing for departure to McMinnville.

I've seen this Beaver at aviation events earlier this year, but I don't think I got an opportunity to photograph until today...

N19ZM airborne off of 34 for McMinnville.

I believe this is my first time seeing a De Havilland Beaver fly!

No comments: