About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Saturday, December 3, 2022

Gallery Update: Beechcraft 1900D Sighting in Salem!

As I flew out for a quick cross-country outing, I noticed a Beechcraft 1900D parked on the ramp. I was surprised to see it, so I resolved to get a closer look at it once I got back. After fueling up upon my return to home base, I did just that. I'll let the photos speak for themselves:

Salem (SLE)

Preview:

Beechcraft 1900D (5Y-GAS/N105EV) parked on the ramp. Arrived from McMinnville this past Wednesday, November 30, where it had been stored.

While this would be my second time seeing a 1900D, as it turns out, I saw this very airframe here at Salem seven years ago this month, when it wore the registration N105EV under the operation and care of Erickson Inc. as it operated on the behalf of Ameriflight during the 2015 holiday peak season. Still neat to see considering that this is rare sight for Salem.

After I last saw this frame in 2015, it was leased to Kenyan carrier Fly-SAX under the EastAfrican.com branding with the registration 5Y-GAS. It was delivered to the Kenyan airline on October 24, 2018.

Airframe was withdrawn from use and brought back to the U.S. in August of this year, where it's technically already re-registered as N105EV.

Prior to its most-recent service life, this airframe was first delivered to Mesa Airlines as N64YV in October 1993 and flew under the USAir Express banner. It continued to serve on the behalf of US Airways under the US Airways Express brand when USAir rebranded into US Airways starting in February 1997. Raytheon Aircraft took possession of this airframe in February 2008 and re-registered it as N1900R in March 2009; it served as a demonstrator aircraft nicknamed "The Missionator" in order to showcase the aircraft's versatility and the variety of roles it could fulfill.

A good look at the tail number. While the old Kenyan registration is still painted on, this airframe is already re-registered as N105EV per flight tracking sites. After serving as a demonstrator for Raytheon, this airframe went to Evergreen International Aviation in December 2011 before going defunct in 2014. Erickson Inc. took on this airframe in February 2014 as part of taking on several assets from the defunct Evergreen International Aviation and Evergreen International Airlines. Right now, this air frame is registered to Sentry Aircraft Leasing, LLC and likely in the process of being leased to another operator.

No comments: