About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Monday, April 22, 2019

Pilot Life: Instrument Training & Refresher in a Cherokee

It's back to Instrument flying in preparation to pick back up where I left off. The three-week-long Instrument ground classes ended last week and we're starting to get some decent weather again. I finished up and earned my complex endorsement over the weekend, finishing up a little tangent I took in flight training. However, I won't be utilizing my uncle's Cessna 172 anymore because it's been sold; a flight club in Salem was looking to buy and and add another plane to their fleet and they ended up eyeing my uncle's plane. Kind of bitter-sweet, as I will miss having access to the Skyhawk that I've done the bulk of my time-building in, but the flying club that bought the plane is offering my uncle and I some benefits and associations regarding club membership that we'll get to make use of in the months ahead (more elaboration on that later!).

With my uncle's Cessna gone for now, I'm going to utilize a Piper Cherokee in Infinite Air Center's fleet, primarily because it has the same instrument and Garmin GPS setup as the 172 I've been flying in. So as far as equipment is concerned, it won't be too much of a transition for me. Plus I already have over 20 hours in the Cherokee Cruiser from time in Utah, so I'm fairly familiar with the aircraft type; I actually found it quite nice to be flying a Cherokee again!

As per the usual, I met with my flight instructor and we briefly went over the particular Cherokee I was going to complete my Instrument training in. After that, I stepped out and did my pre-flight and walk-around, which not surprisingly was the same as the Piper Arrow I've been flying recently minus some of the extra "bells and whistles" I was introduced to regarding the former.

Piper PA-28-140 Cherokee Cruiser (N98241), nicknamed "Jane" by the Infinite crew. It feels kind of nostalgic flying a Cherokee again (this airframe being referred to as my "side-chick" airplane!)!

After walk-around was complete, we hopped in and went through the checklist procedures, got the engine started, and taxied out to Runway 16. After doing the engine run-ups according to the checklist, we got airborne. For the first time in a little over a month, I went under the hood and picked up our IFR clearance from Cascade Approach, with request for radar vectors for the ILS 17 approach into Corvallis. While I was picking up our clearance, my instructor conducted a airborne VOR check for the Cherokee's two VOR receivers as they were past due. Other than that, I followed ATC's instructions as they vectored us to the final approach course for Runway 17 into Corvallis; I made sure to brief the approach plate on the way as well.

Overall, I flew the approach fairly well, considering that I haven't shot any instrument approaches since February! Of course, little mistakes were made on my part, but it's all part of the learning process (there's ALWAYS something to be learned on every flight I take!). We went missed on the approach and then requested radar vectors for the RNAV 17 back to Corvallis. Once again, I briefed the approach and once again, I followed ATC's instructions. Another decent approach was shot before I went missed once more according to proper procedure that I've been taught over and over again. Our last instrument approach requested for the day was the VOR-A back to Albany for a full-stop landing. As usual, I briefed the approach. Using the Corvallis VOR as our initial approach fix, we made the procedure turn and headed inbound on the final approach course to Albany. After passing the Corvallis VOR and made the first altitude step-down, we cancelled IFR with ATC and they cut us loose. I continued down to the minimum descent altitude for this approach and my instructor eventually had me come out of the hood.

We crossed over the Albany Airport at midfield and entered a modified left-downwind for Runway 16 and got configured for landing. We came in and I made my first landing in the Piper Cherokee in a while, which thankfully was a descent one, albeit landing a little long; it'll take some getting used to! After clearing off the runway, I taxied us back to the ramp, where I shut the engine down and secured the airplane. After the post-flight checks, we debriefed and logged the flight. My instructor is fairly confident in my flying regarding Instrument procedures and today's flight went pretty well considering that I hopped in a semi-unfamiliar airplane for the first time.

A good first day back in the saddle and a pleasure to be back flying in a Piper Cherokee again!

No comments: