About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Friday, March 31, 2017

Gallery Update: Chasing an Embraer E-135

It was a windy day today in Provo. Nothing new is going on with regards to my stalled flight training and wait for a new flight instructor so I decided to go planespotting to lift my spirits and keep the dream alive. I noticed on FlightAware that an Embraer EMB-135 Legacy 600 operated by Flight Options was at Provo and was scheduled to leave earlier this afternoon. Since I haven't photographed one of these ERJs before, I decided to make a trip out of it. Here's the link:

Provo (PVU) 29

Preview:

Kaman K-1200 K-MAX (N526MW), an aircraft type I've never seen or heard of before! It is a medium lift helicopter with intermeshing rotors (otherwise known as a synchropter). It is capable of lifting external cargo loads weighing over 6,000 pounds, more that it's empty weight!

Cessna 560XL Citation Excel (N560JF) airborne after departing on 31.

Bell UH-1H Iroqouis (N58468) working the pattern. Originally with the United States Air Force as 71-20298. Great to see these old "Huey" helicopters finding a second life under civilian/private operations!

Flight Options Embraer EMB-135BJ Legacy 600 (N905FL) airborne after departure via 31 as OPT905 to Coral Creek Airport (FA54) in Placida, Florida. Arrived into Provo earlier in the day as OPT905 from Aspen, Colorado. Flight Options, a company that specializes in fractional jet ownership programs configures their flight numbers based on the tail number of the aircraft operating that particular route.

This is my first time catching one of these variants of the ERJ regional jets, which seem to be a rare sight in the western United States. The Legacy 600 is a business jet derivative of the Embraer ERJ-145 family of commercial jet aircraft. The Legacy 600 is based on the shorter ERJ-135 model. I've yet to photograph the ERJ-135/140/145 family in airline operation!

The Legacy 600 was launched in 2000 and first flew 16 years ago today on March 31, 2001.

The Legacy 600/650 business jets competes on the upper end of the small to mid-sized range of business jets. It's main competitor is Bombardier's Challenger family. However unlike Bombardier, Embraer based their large Legacy jets off the established airline-configured ERJ regional jet family while Bombardier based their airliner CRJs off the Challenger business jets.

No comments: