About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Gallery Update: Morning Trip to Cottage Grove

I got off from my final night of work this morning as I will be getting ready to depart Oregon for school down in Utah in a few days. I got a call from my uncle a few hours after getting home and he invited me out to go flying with him to get some breakfast. I haven't flown with my uncle in his Cessna 172 in a couple of years so naturally, I accepted the invitation. We flew down to Cottage Grove, Oregon from Albany where my uncle keeps his plane in a hangar and we ate at the The Vintage Inn, just short walk away from the Cottage Grove State Airport. After getting breakfast, we stumbled across the Oregon Aviation Historical Society's hangar, a small museum dedicated to preserving the aviation history and heritage specific to Oregon, making for a pleasant discovery! After briefly checking out the museum, we flew back up to Albany. Here are the links to the photos I took on this spur of the moment trip:

Cottage Grove (61S) 1

Oregon Aviation Historical Society

General Aviation Wings (Updated)

Albany (S12) 3

Photo preview:

My uncle's Cessna 172N Skyhawk II (N5174E) pulled out of the hangar just prior to our flight.

Just after taking off from Albany Municipal Airport's Runway 16 climbing southbound.

Turning for final approach into Cottage Grove State Airport's Runway 33.

Final approach for 33.

N5174E parked at Cottage Grove!

Long Anzani Longster AL-1 replica (N930AL) on display at the Oregon Aviation Historical Society.

Stinson SR-5 Reliant (NC14585) on display at the Oregon Aviation Historical Society.

Rearwin 8500 Sportster (NC17099) on display at the Oregon Aviation Historical Society.

Approaching Albany on the return flight.

Final approach for 34.

Short final for 34. Since I last flew into Albany, the runway got upgraded with a displaced threshold. 

Cessna 150 Commuter II (N66709) parked on the Infinite Air Center ramp.

Piper PA-28-140 Cherokee Cruiser (N98241) parked on the Infinite Air Center ramp.

Cessna 140 (N76704) parked on the ramp.

Piper PA-28R-180 Arrow (N4958J) parked on the ramp.

Cessna T337C Turbo Super Skymaster (N2460S) parked on the ramp.

Douglas A-4E Skyhawk parked on the ramp. This airframe along with two other frames are being restored by (wait for it!) teenagers attending the Albany Options School for eventual display at the airport as part of a service learning project.

Face to face with the mostly completed Skyhawk.

A second A-4 Skyhawk still in the early stages of restoration.

Cessna 310P (N556RT) parked on the ramp.

N5174E back home and about to be put back in the barn!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

N5174E was my grandpa's plane for many years. We used to go up in it when I was a kid and get breakfast all over North Carolina and Southern Virginia. I have lots of great memories and lots of hours in this plane. Joe Miller