About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Sunday, February 13, 2022

Gallery Update: Thorp T-18 Sighting in Salem

As I was returning back to Salem following a quick cross-country flight, I heard another aircraft on the radio also flying into Salem. It was definitely an experimental homebuilt aircraft and I initially thought it was a Van's RV. But as it turns out, it was a Thorp T-18, a two-place, all-metal, plans-built, homebuilt aircraft designed in 1963 by John Thorp, himself an aeronautical engineer who made significant contributions to aircraft design throughout his life. Thorp's resume includes the Boeing Model 247 and the Lockheed P2V Neptune among others. The T-18 was one of the most popular homebuilt designs of the 1970s and early 1980s until the Van's Aircraft RV kitplane series came on the market.

I had the opportunity to catch this plane because as it turns out, it was owned and hangared right across from where I was hangared. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Salem (SLE)

Preview:

Thorp T-18 (N818TR) parked in front of the hangars.

The particular airframe is serial number 888. Over 1,600 plans for this homebuilt were sold and 400 examples of the T-18 still fly today. 

No comments: