About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Pilot Life: Instrument Rating Aircraft Montage

With my hard-earned Instrument Rating in hand now as of yesterday, I thought I'd take a look back at all the planes that I've flown, logged time in, and practically played a role in my Instrument flight training up until this point. Unlike my private pilot training (which was done in nothing but Diamond DA-20 Katanas!), there's a bit of variety in terms of aircraft types in the airplane single-engine land category and class as far as the segment for my Instrument training goes! And of course, during the course of my Instrument training, I took a couple tangents and had some fun in the process.

Platinum Aviation Diamond DA20-C1 Katana Eclipse (N968CT). My first Instrument training flight as well as my first instrument approaches were done in this aircraft! This Katana was also my go-to airplane for when I went out on my own to practice instrument approaches in VFR conditions! I also got one cross-country flight flying under the hood up to Ogden under my belt with a safety pilot flying this Katana!

Platinum Aviation Piper PA-28-140 Cherokee Cruiser (N7625F). While in the Utah, this plane became my cost-effective, go-to cross-country time-building aircraft!

Platinum Aviation Diamond DA-20-C1 Katana Eclipse (N802CT). The plane I earned my Private Pilot Certificate in! I also used this plane to shoot practice non-precision Instrument approaches on my own a few times. Also notched one cross-country flight under the hood up to Ogden with a safety pilot in this Katana that will always have a special place in my heart!

Platinum Aviation Diamond DA-20-C1 Katana Eclipse (N992CT). I never got to shoot any approaches in this plane as I was unfamiliar with the GPS system on this aircraft; I did however take a few friends and family flying in this plane just to build time. Sadly, this plane was totaled in an accident not too long before I moved out of Utah.

Platinum Aviation Diamond DA-20 Diamond Star (N321PF). A little TAA time just to get myself checked out in a Diamond Star and get my first taste of a glass cockpit!

Piel CP-30 Emeraude (N5TX). I got to log some more tailwheel time with my uncle Sam in this baby!

Mooney M20F Executive 21 (N9716M). I got my first taste of flying a complex airplane as I also concurrently began working towards some commercial requirements with my uncle Sam!

AvCenter-Idaho Falls Cessna 172N Skyhawk II (N2207E). While I didn't use this plane in particular for Instrument training, I used this plane to get checked out in the Cessna 172 in preparation for flying my uncle Alan's Cessna 172.

Cessna 172N Skyhawk II (N5174E). When it was under my uncle's ownership, this is the plane I spent a significant chunk of my Instrument training time and time-building in! And this plane is the reason why I moved back to Oregon! I'm grateful for my uncle Alan, who offered me this plane when I needed it!

Infinite Air Center Piper PA-28R-180 Arrow (N4958J) "Julie." After failing the oral portion of my Instrument checkride the first time, I flew this airplane with my instructor to finish getting the ten total hours of complex time needed towards my commercial requirements, which made for a good tangent to fill the time as I waited for ground school!

Valley Flyers Cessna 172M Skyhawk II (N12382). I also joined the local flight club and as a result, gained access to a small fleet of airplanes! I did my club checkout with an instructor in this plane and got to practice an LPV approach using the GPS that it was equipped with.

Valley Flyers Cessna 172M Skyhawk II (N515ED). After getting checked out with the club, I flew this plane on my own just to get back into a glass cockpit and play with some ideas.

Valley Flyers Piper PA-28-140 Cherokee Cruiser (N1636H). After transitioning back into a Cherokee as part of my Instrument training, I was actually having trouble with flying the airplane type (much to my surprise!). In order to help me get used to operating the type again as part of the transition, I used the flight club's Cherokee on my own time; this plane did help me in the long run.

Infinite Air Center Piper PA-28-140 Cherokee Cruiser (N98241) "Jane," the plane I picked back up Instrument training in and the plane did my checkride in, earning that hard-fought Instrument Rating in!

No comments: