About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Gallery Update: Pak West Expediter in Salem

It's funny, because the last time I took some photos at Salem's McNary Field, I went after a Metroliner operated by Pak West/Sierra West Airlines. Well, once again I found myself chasing after another Pak West Metroliner variant, the SA-227AT Expediter. The Expediter (appropriate name for the role the plane serves!) is a member of the SA227-series of the Metroliner family with strengthened floors and a high gross weight option, purpose-built as a cargo aircraft. Only 22 Expediter airframes were ever built.

Salem (SLE) 20

Preview:

Pak West Airlines (d/b/a Sierra West Airlines) Fairchild SA-227AT Expediter (N564TR) arriving on 31 as PKW830 from Grand Junction. 

PKW830 taxiing to the ramp. This airframe was first registered as N3114B in 1983 before going to UPS as N564UP. Prior to acquisition by Sierra West, this airframe previously flew in Australia as VH-EEO with Pel-Air Aviation (d/b/a Australian airExpress) from 1996 until disposal some time in 2010. 

The Metroliner family is affectionately known by it's nickname, the "Texas Lawn Dart" because it was primarily manufactured in San Antonio, Texas and its fuselage shape really needs no explanation! Other hilarious nicknames include, "San Antonio sewer pipe," "Texas Sewer Pipe," "Death pencil," "The Screamin' Weenie," "Swetro" (because it's air conditioning sucks during the summer season!), "Terror Tube," "That noisy f***ing thing!" "Widow maker," and "Kerosene Crowbar."

PKW830 pulling up to the FBO ramp.

Face-to-face with the "Texas Lawn Dart."

PKW830 parked on the ramp following engine shut-down. Always a pleasure to see rare and uncommon aircraft like this one!

No comments: