About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Gallery Update: Double Allegiant Charter Sightings

I got a quick round of planespotting out of Provo before my scheduled flight lesson today. It's been nearly two weeks since BYU's last football game. Their last away game for the regular season against the University of Cincinnati Bearcats is this coming Saturday and as per the usual, they had to charter an Allegiant Air Boeing 757-200 to get out there. Sadly for me, it was a repeat tail number. But this might have been the one of the last times we see Allegiant's 757s at Provo as the type will be retired from the fleet starting next year (and by then college football season is pretty much done with!) so I figured it should've been a noteworthy opportunity. In addition to the arriving 757, I also caught a departing MD-83 operated by Allegiant Air, which to my surprise was also on a charter flight (reasons for the charter flight is unknown); both were within minutes of each other! I've been waiting to catch and MD-80 and 757 from Allegiant in one day and I finally got that opportunity today. Here's the link:

Provo (PVU) 17

Preview:

Allegiant Air Boeing 757-204 (N906NV) arriving on 13 as AAY4403 from Las Vegas to pick up the BYU football team. I last photographed this airframe about two months ago.

AAY4403 taxiing to the ramp. Would later depart as AAY4404 for Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport in Covington, Kentucky. According to my instructor, the 757 has it's own wake turbulence category and it's nasty, especially for general aviation pilots.

Allegiant Air McDonnell Douglas MD-83 (N421NV) rotating on 13 for departure to San Jose as AAY4102; this departure occurred within minutes following the 757's arrival, which was good timing because ramp space for big jets at the TAC Air FBO and Alpine Air ramp is limited, especially when big jets are involved!

AAY4102 climbing away. This is either a charter flight or an empty ferry flight. Airframe started it's life out as an MD-81, delivered to Scandinavian Airlines-SAS as OY-KHR in 1991. It was modified to MD-82 standards in 2005 and then removed from the fleet in 2009. Allegiant Air acquired the airframe in 2010 and modified to the current MD-83 standards. This MD-80 is almost as old as I am! (But I'm STILL older than this particular airframe!)

No comments: