About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Friday, January 17, 2014

Gallery Update: Legacy Flight Museum Revisit

I'm jumping at a unique opportunity while I'm at Rexburg. Though I technically visited the Legacy Flight Museum last June for the fly-in open house, I haven't spent time in the hangar that's actually the museum since 2009 so I decided to go and see what's new. I also stated my interest in volunteering at the museum and I'm going to do so every once in a while when I'm available so I am looking forward to that! Because I'm volunteering, I'm going to occasionally update this photo album whenever changes happen. Anyways, here's my latest in photo updates:

Legacy Flight Museum (Revisits)

Cell Phone Pictures (Update)

Here's a taste what I saw today:

The latest addition to the museum is this McDonnell Douglas A-4 Skyhawk painted in a Blue Angels livery. Unlike other aircraft that are in and out of the museum, this one is not airworthy. Plus, the Rexburg Airport runway is too short to handle one of these...

The museum is home to one of only three airworthy examples of the Bell P-63 Kingcobra.

I also got a chance of a lifetime when they allowed me to sit in the cockpit of the P-63:

Special thanks to the guys at the museum for allowing me such an opportunity!

I'm 5' 10" and the ideal pilot for the Kingcobra is 5' 6" if that says anything! When I sat down, it definitely felt a little cramped. Getting in and out was a little delicate as well because unlike traditional fighter aircraft, entry into the cockpit of the P-63 was through side doors (mounted on either side of the cockpit) instead of a sliding canopy normally seen on say, a P-51D Mustang.

No comments: