About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Saturday, July 17, 2021

Gallery Update: Spotting Between Flying

Before going flying this evening for a quick cross-country, I got some photography done. In addition, I also made a quick stopover in McMinnville en route to my cross-country destination because an ATR-72 formerly with the now-defunct 'Ohana by Hawaiian landed there yesterday. Now I've photographed this airframe already at the beginning of last year (before the pandemic hit!), but the plane was being worked on when I last saw it, so that meant I had to work around the crew who were around the plane. Considering that this was an opportunity to photograph this airframe undisturbed, I decided to take up the opportunity. Plus, I figured I'll go for broke considering that I've photographed the majority of the ATR turboprops in the 'Ohana livery during this year alone and I might as well go for all of them! 

With all the former 'Ohana by Hawaiian ATR-72s now on the mainland, there is only a single ATR-42 (as per flight tracking sites) that has yet to make it's Pacific crossing from Hawaii over to the mainland (And I think I'll keep an eye out for it, considering that I haven't seen a passenger ATR-42 in action before either!).

Salem (SLE) 88

McMinnville (MMV) 11

Preview:

Piper PA-12 Super Cruiser (NC98944) doing an engine-run on the ramp. Based off of the J-5 Cub Cruiser. A vintage built in 1946!

Southern Cross Aviation (d/b/a Empire Airlines) ATR-72-201F (N811HC) parked on the ramp. Arrived from Honolulu last night as SXA666. The crew spent today un-installing the ferry tanks and will depart tomorrow morning for Coeur D'Alene.

While I saw this airframe in February of last year, the doors were open and the crew were in the process of installing ferry tanks, so I'm glad I got to photograph this airframe again, this time, undisturbed and free of clutter.

Face-to-face with the ATR-72!

So this will be my final time seeing this livery on the ATR-72. There is one ATR-42 that has yet to make it's journey to the mainland. I also recently learned that there was supposed to be a fourth ATR-72 slated to join the 'Ohana by Hawaiian fleet, registered as N816HC; obviously, it was not taken up by Hawaiian Airlines due to the repercussions from the pandemic. According to PlaneSpotters.net, it was delivered to Empire Airlines February of last year and was getting prepped for Hawaiian operations before it went to long-term storage at Coeur D'Alene as of June 2020. Based on some of the most recent photos of N816HC found online, it never got to wear the 'Ohana by Hawaiian livery.

No comments: