About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Thursday, November 14, 2019

Gallery Update: Army Chinook Action in Salem!

As I was getting fuel after getting back into Salem following a local flight practicing commercial maneuvers, I spotted a United States Army Chinook helicopter on the ramp as it was about to take off and got a few pictures of it! What's interesting about this catch is that the Chinook I photographed was an MH-47G, the latest and most-sophisticated special operations version of the venerable transport helicopter. Either way, I was excited to see and photograph a Chinook fly for the first time after seeing them on static display at past air shows!

Salem (SLE) 34

United States Army Boeing-Vertol MH-47G Chinook (10-03789) from the 4th Battalion, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) (4–160th SOAR(A)) (also known as the "Night Stalkers" and Task Force Brown) out of Gray Army Airfield within Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM), Washington just after engine-start. About to depart back to Gray Army Airfield.

Taxiing out. Given that it's used for special operations, I can only imagine that aircraft like this are used for clandestine and covert ops that are probably classified! The 160th SORA(A) provides helicopter support for general purpose forces and special operations forces. Its missions have included attack, assault, and reconnaissance, and these missions are usually conducted at night, at high speeds, low altitudes, and on short notice. This kind of distinction means that this special operations force consists of the Army's best-qualified aviators, crew chiefs, and support soldiers!

Airborne off 34 for Gray Army Airfield. I think this occasion was my first time seeing a Chinook in flight! Note the the very long refueling probe extending from the nose; since special ops missions can last hours, the helicopters they fly need aerial refueling capabilities in order to stay aloft.

No comments: