About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Pilot Life: Taking My Friend, Miranda Flying!

Another fine day to fly, another excuse to take a passenger out for fun; we were supposed to do this flight yesterday, but thunderstorms in the area made me play it safe and thankfully, today was a better day. Today, I took up Miranda, another one of my church friends for a flight out to the coast, which I thought she would enjoy.

My personal plane of choice in the Valley Flyers fleet (obviously!), N5174E!

After meeting up at the previously agreed upon place, I drove Miranda over to the hangar where the plane was kept. I did the pre-flight in the hangar, then we taxied over to the fuel pumps to top off the tanks (the plane hasn't flown since I last took it two days ago!). After that, we hopped back in and got the engine started, picked up ATIS, and got taxi clearance to Runway 34. After doing run-ups, I requested takeoff clearance and we were airborne. We departed the area on the downwind before turning southwest towards Newport. On the way over, we took a selfie!

Obligatory selfie en route to the coast!
(Photo credit: Miranda Thomas, my lovely passenger!)

I navigated towards Newport via GPS as well as with the VOR there. I picked up the weather and got an idea where the winds were coming from. The cost came into view and I flew us right over the town and made an extended left downwind entry for the traffic pattern. Airport in sight, it was a standard, uneventful touch and go landing on Runway 34. From there, we flew northwards along the shoreline, allowing Miranda to take in the view; it was an absolutely gorgeous day to fly the Oregon coast!

All along the way, I made sure to make position calls on the respective CTAFs for each airport we passed by. I also made sure to stay at least 2,000 feet above certain protected areas as there were a few to note along the shoreline. I took us as far as Tillamook and just a little further north as we had to check out a few rock formations there. After cruising the coast, I took us back inland; from Tillamook, I took us straight out towards the Independence/Monmouth area on the western reaches of the Willamette Valley. Upon reach the valley, I invited Miranda to take the flight controls and try her hand at flying the airplane (under my supervision as PIC, of course!). For her first time, she did alright!

Once over Independence, I took us directly south for a little bit before turning back north just north of Millersburg; I also took the time to get the updated ATIS information, which clearly changed since we've been gone. I positioned us for a straight-in approach for Runway 34 for Salem and contacted the tower stating intentions. We were cleared to land on Runway 34 and made a successful and uneventful landing. As per flight club housekeeping and courtesy, I taxied us to the fuel pumps and topped off the fuel tanks. We also took the time to take a few more pictures, mainly for Miranda. Afterwards, we taxied the plane back to the hangar, towed it inside, and proceeded to clean the wings before closing up shop and going our separate ways.

Needless to say, another satisfied passenger, another wonderful day to share my passion with someone who has never experienced the world General Aviation!

No comments: