About This Blog:

The primary purpose of this blog is to showcase the best of my aviation photography. As such, you will find links to my main aviation gallery on Facebook containing photos from aircraft spotting, some kind of aviation event such as air shows and fly-in events, as well as aviation museums. I also critique my flights on commercial airlines and the services they provide. Occassionally, you'll find personally written, independent articles based on news and current events involving aviation. And of course, I'll put up links to official and unofficial aviation-related websites when I find them. And when time permits, I'll talk and discuss about anything involving aviation. But most importantly, this is my way to document my journey into the aviation industry!

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Gallery Update: A Dark Morning at PDX

I am pretty much kicking myself now... I had to drive up to PDX this morning so my sister could catch her flight back to Utah. After dropping her off, of course I would take some time to go planespotting at my usual place. Unfortunately, it was still dark outside so I wasn't able to photograph half of what I saw, which was frustrating because there was some really good air traffic activities. Here's the photo gallery link:

Portland (PDX) 10

What's even more frustrating about this spotting trip was that it was cloudy weather (typical Oregon...). Even worse, the weather really screwed up my lighting. And here's where I'm kicking myself: After coming home, I read the manual on what settings my camera has and lo and behold, there WAS a setting I could have switched to in order to compensate for the weather lighting conditions. Wish I knew about that earlier... Anyways, my photos turned out okay after tinkering with them in Picasa. Here's a preview of some things that were my highlights:

Last time I photographed the Canadians, they were still branded as Air Canada Jazz. Now this De Havilland Dash 8 DHC-8-301 (C-GTAG) is in the Air Canada Express (Jazz Air) livery.

Though a common sight and livery here at PDX, this Alaska Airlines Boeing 737-490 (N788AS), being a 400-series is one of the older 737s in the fleet (It entered service with Alaska in 1997). These older versions of the "baby Boeing" aren't going to be around much longer...

Not really a whole lot of CRJs in Alaska Airlines colors... This Canadair CL-600-2C10 CRJ-700 (N217AG) is operated by SkyWest Airlines and is mainly utilized on some of Alaska's West Coast routes where it is not feasible to operate with Horizon's Bombardier Q400s or Alaska's Boeing 737s. SkyWest purchased N217AG from Horizon Air (ex-N609QX) when they retired their CRJs and went to an all-Q400 fleet. This aircraft pictured here is seen initiating a go-around for some unknown reason.

I finally photographed a McDonnell Douglas MD-11! Operated as an MD-11F (freighter) by FedEx Express. Unfortunately, this is one of the photos of mine that got affected by the poor lighting so I can't identify it through the aircraft tail-number. It's such a shame on what's become of the once mighty tri-jet. In an era where twin-jets can do a lot more efficiently, the tri-jets are becoming obsolete. 

Here's another new sight for me: UPS Airlines Boeing 767-34AF/ER flaring over the runway. Again, I'm having a hard time identifying the tail number from the multiple photos I've taken of this aircraft. UPS recently started fitting all their 767 freighters with winglets.

No comments: